You are hereSchneck Log House

Schneck Log House

By chris - Posted on 28 October 2008


       The Schneck Log House may date back to 1798. Tax records show a Schneck ancestor paid taxes on a log building of one story. Speculation is that the present building was modified at a later date, perhaps to provide more space for a younger son’s expanding family, or perhaps to be used as a home for the widow. The interior retains its original wide floorboards and an original wall along the present staircase. The fireplace is rebuilt from stone that had comprised the base of the original huge fireplace, and is very unusual in being located at the back of the building. Doors are of the period, and all windows are custom-made featuring old glass. A pent roof is present on the front of the building, and there is wood chinking. The property is home to several Eagle Scout projects: a pavilion sheltering a double butcher stove, a buried-barrel “refrigerator,” a large grape arbor, and a four-square German garden with simulated wellhead. The Schneck Log House is owned by the Upper Lehigh Historical Society (PO Box 255, Schnecksville, PA 18078). Visitors may walk around the building, but it is not possible to go inside.
      Access: Located along PA Route 873 in Schnecksville. From the previous building, return to Rt. 309 in Schnecksville, turn right, and continue to the junction of Routes 309 and 873. Turn right onto Route 873 and continue 0.3 mile to a traffic light near McDonald’s on the left and STS Tire & Auto on the right. Turn right and go behind the tire store to the Schneck Log House.

No Known References

<- Previous Cabin