You are hereBalliet Log House

Balliet Log House

By chris - Posted on 28 October 2008


       This two story structure was probably built by Paul Balliet, son of Paulus Balliet. Paulus came to America in 1738 aboard the ship Robert and Alice, with the intention of operating an inn in what is now North Whitehall Township. The land was granted to him by Thomas and Richard Penn. Paulus died in 1777, and the land on which this house stands was willed to his son Paul, the other sons John and Stephen getting other parts of the estate. Paul married late in life, at age 50, in 1815. It is possible he built this house for his new bride.
      The first floor window treatments are not original. In the 1960s the front door had been removed and a picture window installed across it and the original window opening. This has been partly restored. The other first floor windows had been enlarged at some point. The second floor windows are most likely the original treatment. The building’s sidewalls are longer than the width of the front wall.
      The apparent age of the original part of the adjacent barn is 1840. Additions have been added onto either side of this center section. The nearby springhouse was in place by 1845. This is a drive-by site.

      Access: The building’s location is 4458 Coffeetown Road, Schnecksville, PA. From the previous building return to Cedar Crest Blvd., turn left and continue north on Cedar Crest Blvd. for 2.9 miles miles to Iron Bridge Road. Turn left and continue for 0.7 mile to the stop sign at Guth’s covered bridge. Turn right, drive through the covered bridge, and continue ahead for 0.1 mile to River Road. Turn left and continue 0.8 mile to Wehr Mill Road (Wehr’s covered bridge is on the left). Turn right onto Wehr Mill Road and continue 0.1 mile to a T at Lime Kiln Road. Turn left and continue 0.6 mile to the traffic light at Route 309. Turn right and continue 0.4 mile to the traffic light at Kernsville Road. Turn left and continue 1.0 mile to Jordan Road (shortly after crossing a steel bridge). Turn right onto Jordan Road and continue 0.5 mile to the stop sign at Rex’s covered bridge ahead of you. Drive through the bridge and continue 1.0 mile to a stop sign and covered bridge tour sign. Take the right fork on Jordan Road and continue 1.2 mile to Orchard Road (the sign may be missing). Turn left onto Orchard Road and continue 1.5 miles to the traffic light at Rt. 309. Continue ahead 1.7 miles on Sand Spring Road to Coffeetown Road. Turn left and continue 0.5 mile to the Balliet Log House on the left.

Selected Reference

Kiernan, Charles B.
      1990      Paulus Balliet Homestead. Proceedings Lehigh County Historical Society, 39: 203.

<- Previous Cabin