You are hereThe Cabins / Central Route

Central Route

      This section of the log cabin trail includes the City of Allentown, Lower Macungie, North Whitehall, Lowhill, and Weisenberg townships, and villages and towns including Breinigsville, Wescosville, and Schnecksville. The Central Section has nine log buildings included on the trail. They are Hunter’s Cabin in Little Lehigh Parkway in Allentown, the Henry Bortz Log House at Wescosville, the Lynford Lardner Log Cabin in Trexler Park in Allentown, the Balliet Log House in North Whitehall Township, the Schneck Log House in Schnecksville, and the Wright Log House in North Whitehall Township.

Hunter’s Cabin

       This representative Germanic log cabin was built in ca 1739-1741 by Abraham Kirper (or Carper) on land that that was bought in 1738. Later the cabin and 294 acres were acquired by Peter Bogert whose family owned the property for five generations. In the 1930s, Robert A. Young owned the land and had some restoration done to the clapboard-sided log cabin, and in 1938 additional restoration was completed by the Allentown Parks Department with the assistance of Allentown architects John K. Heyl and William D. Miller.

Henry Bortz Log House

       Located along Rt. 222 (Hamilton Blvd.) in Wescosville, this story-and-a-half log house has exposed exterior logs on part of the building, and “shiplap” (clapboard) siding covering the logs on the remaining structure. The east end of the building is an 1815 addition, a post-and-beam brick filled structure under the shiplap. The siding was whitewashed each year before winter. In addition, the kitchen areas were also whitewashed to keep that area of the cabin clean.

Lynford Lardner Log Cabin

       Located in Trexler Park in west end of Allentown, the story-and-a-half Lynford Lardner log cabin was used in the early twentieth century by General Harry C. Trexler, a major local philanthropist, as a summer retreat on his Springhouse Farm (now Trexler Park). The General built substantial additions to the log structure but, in 1952, they were removed to restore the log building to its current, more historic appearance.

Balliet Log House

       This two story structure was probably built by Paul Balliet, son of Paulus Balliet. Paulus came to America in 1738 aboard the ship Robert and Alice, with the intention of operating an inn in what is now North Whitehall Township. The land was granted to him by Thomas and Richard Penn. Paulus died in 1777, and the land on which this house stands was willed to his son Paul, the other sons John and Stephen getting other parts of the estate. Paul married late in life, at age 50, in 1815. It is possible he built this house for his new bride.

Schneck Log House

       The Schneck Log House may date back to 1798. Tax records show a Schneck ancestor paid taxes on a log building of one story. Speculation is that the present building was modified at a later date, perhaps to provide more space for a younger son’s expanding family, or perhaps to be used as a home for the widow. The interior retains its original wide floorboards and an original wall along the present staircase. The fireplace is rebuilt from stone that had comprised the base of the original huge fireplace, and is very unusual in being located at the back of the building.

Wright Log House

       This log house has two full stories with horizontal, shiplap siding on one gable end. Dovetail notching is used to join the ends of the logs together. The interior of the building has very low ceilings.