You are hereThe Cabins / Entire Route

Entire Route

Carlin Log House

      This full two story log building has a transom that may be original, full mortar chinking, and nine-over-six widow sashes. The logs of the building were treated for preservation purposes, as demonstrated by the shiny finish that’s visible on them. This is a drive-by site.

Miller Log House

      This story-and-a-half log structure with wood chinking is a so-called “bank” building built into the side of a hill. It possibly had a central fireplace at one time. The floor joists on the rear of the building extend slightly suggesting a possible pent roof once was present but is no longer there. It’s a good example of how newer building additions to the original log part can convert a small log building into a lovely modern residence. Good landscaping nicely augments the external appearance. This is a drive-by site.

Peter Rothenberger Log House

      This charming stone ended, story-and-a-half log house is beautifully preserved and enhanced further by the wonderful landscaping around the building. Full mortar chinking is visible. The current front and side windows indicate possible taller original windows were used on the building. As with some other log buildings included on the Lehigh County Log Cabin Trail, some newer additions were added to the original log house at a later date. This is a drive-by site.

Schubert-Graber Log Cabin

      The Schubert-Graber log cabin, along Power Valley Road, is thought to be the oldest building in Upper Milford Township. It is one of several remaining log buildings in the township. It is unique, however, because it is built on a stone foundation that’s dug into a hillside like a Pennsylvania “bank” barn. A mortar analysis indicates that the four walls were not built at the same time, but were built using various percentages of fine clay, lime, straw, wood shavings and crushed anthracite coal.

Pennsylvania Avenue Log House

       This full two story log building is one of three remaining in the Borough of Emmaus. It has dovetail notching on the corners—a relatively unusual feature on remaining Lehigh County log buildings. Little information is available regarding its builder and history, but is claimed to date from the late eighteenth century although it may actually have been built in the early nineteenth century. The structure is now converted into an apartment building. This is a drive-by site.

Shelter House†

       The Shelter House is an exceptionally well-preserved example of the European continental log house style, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It shows very nicely the evolution of a building’s expansion from one section into multiple (three) generation construction. The house predates the 1741 arrival of the Moravian faith to the Emmaus area, and is believed to be the oldest continually inhabited structure in Lehigh County. Although Shelter House’s name originates from the German Zufluchtshaus, which means “a house or structure to which to flee,” there is no record of it ever having been used as a refuge from an attack.

Hunter’s Cabin

       This representative Germanic log cabin was built in ca 1739-1741 by Abraham Kirper (or Carper) on land that that was bought in 1738. Later the cabin and 294 acres were acquired by Peter Bogert whose family owned the property for five generations. In the 1930s, Robert A. Young owned the land and had some restoration done to the clapboard-sided log cabin, and in 1938 additional restoration was completed by the Allentown Parks Department with the assistance of Allentown architects John K. Heyl and William D. Miller.

Henry Bortz Log House

       Located along Rt. 222 (Hamilton Blvd.) in Wescosville, this story-and-a-half log house has exposed exterior logs on part of the building, and “shiplap” (clapboard) siding covering the logs on the remaining structure. The east end of the building is an 1815 addition, a post-and-beam brick filled structure under the shiplap. The siding was whitewashed each year before winter. In addition, the kitchen areas were also whitewashed to keep that area of the cabin clean.

Lynford Lardner Log Cabin

       Located in Trexler Park in west end of Allentown, the story-and-a-half Lynford Lardner log cabin was used in the early twentieth century by General Harry C. Trexler, a major local philanthropist, as a summer retreat on his Springhouse Farm (now Trexler Park). The General built substantial additions to the log structure but, in 1952, they were removed to restore the log building to its current, more historic appearance.

Balliet Log House

       This two story structure was probably built by Paul Balliet, son of Paulus Balliet. Paulus came to America in 1738 aboard the ship Robert and Alice, with the intention of operating an inn in what is now North Whitehall Township. The land was granted to him by Thomas and Richard Penn. Paulus died in 1777, and the land on which this house stands was willed to his son Paul, the other sons John and Stephen getting other parts of the estate. Paul married late in life, at age 50, in 1815. It is possible he built this house for his new bride.