You are hereThe Cabins / Entire Route

Entire Route

Schneck Log House

       The Schneck Log House may date back to 1798. Tax records show a Schneck ancestor paid taxes on a log building of one story. Speculation is that the present building was modified at a later date, perhaps to provide more space for a younger son’s expanding family, or perhaps to be used as a home for the widow. The interior retains its original wide floorboards and an original wall along the present staircase. The fireplace is rebuilt from stone that had comprised the base of the original huge fireplace, and is very unusual in being located at the back of the building.

Wright Log House

       This log house has two full stories with horizontal, shiplap siding on one gable end. Dovetail notching is used to join the ends of the logs together. The interior of the building has very low ceilings.

Remaley Log House

       This two story log house, built by Charles Remaley, apparently is the only log building remaining in Slatington. The current wavy chinking is not original. The six-over-six window sashes on the front of the building may be original. This is a drive-by site.

      Access: This house is located at 1217 Main St., Slatington, PA near the top of the hill at the south end of town. Return to Route 873 and Neffs Church, turn right and drive north for 4.3 miles on Route 873 to the south end of Slatington where the building is located on the right amid dense vegetation.

German Log House

       This two story log and stone building was the original house of Joseph German who built the structure. He was a farmer and land owner who sold part of his land late in the 1840s. The building is one of two log structures remaining in Slatedale, but the only one with logs exposed to the outside, which gives the building an especially charming appearance. This is a drive-by site.

Bellis Log House

       This two story log building is one of the most northern log structures remaining in Lehigh County. The six-over-three window sash on the gable end is a unique size. At one time the building was named “Villa Maria,” but that name is no longer used. This is a drive-by site.

Zeisloff Log House

       George Zeisloff (who built this log house) and his brothers Balthazer and Nicholas, arrived in America from Germany on September 1, 1736. George and his family joined the Allemaengel Moravian Congregation on May 12, 1755. In 1756, most of the Zeisloff family was massacred by Native Americans during the French and Indian War. Only two sons survived.

Fort Everett

      This fort and its stockade wall, now (but not originally) adjacent to the Zeisloff Log House, is rebuilt with the intent of simulating the approximate appearance of the original fort that was located near the former American frontier along the base of the Blue Mountain or Kittatinny Ridge in colonial times.

Stanley Log House

      This two story log house apparently predates the American Revolution. It is located near what once was the American frontier along the base of the Blue Mountain (Kittatinny Ridge) in Lynn Township. There was a central fireplace, and there is a Salen Fenster, or soul window, in the back of the building.

Frederick Leaser Log Cabin†

       The Frederick Leaser Log Cabin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In Revolutionary War times, Frederick Leaser was a Pennsylvania German farmer who helped to save the Liberty Bell (see Local Frederick Leaser Memorials section). The structure is a “bank” log building. Its north side appears to have two fairly distinct sections suggesting different construction times. The building currently needs major restoration work.

Milot Log House

The Milot Log House is a story-and-a-half bank building. There is (in 2008) some insect and rot damage on some of the logs (see section on this website for information pertaining to restoration, preservation, and maintenance of log buildings). This is a drive-by site.